Feb 13, 2009

That Darned Knee

I hate getting injured! Especially when it means no basketball, bowling, golf or climbing for a year! Here's the scoop:

I was playing ball last Tuesday (as I normally do), when I came down from a jump and felt my knee pop sideways, which is not a good feeling, just so you know. After an intense minute of pain, it started feeling a little better and I was able to put some weight on it. I decided to drive myself home, though some good friends offered to do that for me. While stepping into my Jeep, I felt my knee pop out again! Dang that hurt. I was still okay, and started driving home. On my way home, I decided I'd better go to the ER, due to the fact that the pain and burning were reaching an 8 on the pain scale, and I was feeling sick and light-headed.

Once I got to the hospital, I found the ER, but the normal entrance was closed for construction, so I had to park about 200 yards away from the ambulance entrance and hop myself in on one leg (stopping about every 50 yards). The ER took about 2 hours total, and all I got from them was a referral to see a real doctor, and a prescription for 800mg of ibuprofen, which I would have done anyway without them prescribing it to me.

A few days of hobbling around go by, with improvements in mobility, pain and swelling. Now it was time to see the Orthopedic that I was referred to. The first visit, he seemed a little distant, and eager to pawn us off to the hospital for an MRI. So two days later.... I got an MRI. I'll have to say that keeping my leg absolutely strait and still was painful for a few seconds, and having to do it for 45 minutes was misery.

Two days later came the follow-up visit with the Ortho. He looked at the MRI and seemed to immediately know what had happened. "Your ACL is shredded, and you've torn your meniscus. I'd recommend reconstructive surgery." Oh boy, I thought that I might have pulled something, and that I could just rehab it back to full strength. After all, by this time, I was walking at about 75-80% of normal. I thought that if I got a second opinion, maybe the results could change, so I had my Dad take my MRI to his world-renowned Orthopedic Surgeon in Miami, and without any thought, he suggested reconstructive surgery.

So that settles it. Surgery it is. If you are interested in knowing how they reconstruct the ACL, you may want to Google it. It's pretty interesting. Anyway, here are my MRI images:

4 comments:

Jane Durham said...

bummer. so how is it going changing diapers matt?

Shannon said...

Oh Matt! I'm super sorry! If you and your wifey need ANYTHING please let me know! it would be hard to have a new baby and be so immobile. Dont hesitate to call!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all of your support! Shannon, we'll call you when we need some food... JK.

About the diapers Jane, my gag reflex is calming down a bit, so I'm getting better...

Melissa and Allen said...

That MAJORLY sucks. Sorry Matt

Marci- I just saw your comment on my baby food post. That's great that you want to make Miles' food! It's so easy, really. I should make some applesauce, but I haven't yet. Store bought is just so easy! But my Grandma said she'd help me with that. Anyway, I don't think there is anything that doesn't freeze well. I freeze lots of things. But several of my friends say they make a few days worth and just keep it in the fridge which may preserve more nutrients, but I dunno. Doing a big batch and freezing it seems way easier than making it every few days. We need to come see your little guy!